Minister of Arts and Culture.
* Replaced Lulu Xingwana as Arts and Culture Minister on 31 October 2010.
* Deputy Minister of Arts and Culture of the Republic of South Africa since 11 May 2009.
* Provincial Chairperson of African National Congress (ANC) in Gauteng Province since 2007.
* Currently the paid up member of the South African Communist Party (SACP).
* Attended School at Alexandra High School in Gauteng.
* Post Graduate Diploma in Economic Principles from University of London.
* MEC for Finance and Economic Affairs (2004 - 2008).
* Served the countrys national liberation movement in various capacities.
* Member of the Congress of South African Students (Cosas).
* Founding member of the Alexandra Youth Congress in 1983.
* Co-founder of the South African Youth Congress (SAYCO).
* Participated in the co-ordination of the International Year of the Youth Campaign in 1985.
* Active member in the underground structures of the African National Congress (ANC) and South African Communist Party (SACP).
* He participated in and led many United Democratic Front (UDF) campaigns, including Million Signature Campaign, the rent boycott and the campaign to unban the ANC.
* Secretary of the UDF in the Southern Transvaal from 1985 1991.
* Served under Ma Albertina Sisulu, then provincial and national president and vice presidents Kgabisi Mosunkutu and Ram Saloojee.
* Harassed by the security police and was detained under the state of emergency in 1985 and again in 1987.
* Held for almost four years without trial, and during that period went on hunger strike for 18 days as part of a nationwide hunger strike protest.
* Released from prison and placed under house arrest until the unbanning of the ANC in 1990.
* Survived an attempt on his life by the apartheid regime when his home was bombed.
* Played a leading role in re-establishing the structures of the ANC and SACP in Gauteng after the unbanning in 1990.
* Served as Secretary of the SACP in the Transvaal Region until 1992.
* Served as a Political Education Officer under the Chairpersonship of ANC Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe.
* Served as a Provincial Secretary under Chairpersonship of ANC former Gauteng Premier Tokyo Sexwale.
* Served as the Deputy Chairperson under the Chairpersonship of ANC former Gauteng Premier Mathole Motshekga.
* Member of the Provincial Executive Committee under the Premiership of Mbhazima Shilowa.
* Elected as ANC Chairperson of Gauteng province since 2007
* Experienced administrator and longest serving member of the Provincial Executive Committee of the ANC in Gauteng.
* Served as Secretary of the UDF and the ANC for the past 13 years.
* Member of the National Executive Committee of the ANC from 1992 - 1998.
* Served under both President Nelson Mandela and President Thabo Mbeki.
* Has always emphasized the importance of keeping close links with communities affected by poverty and inequality.
* Was part of the leadership deployed to establish democratic government in Gauteng in 1994.
* Member of the Gauteng Provincial Legislature and the leader of the House in 1994.
* Served as Gauteng MEC for Transport and Public Works from 1996 1998.
* Served as Gauteng MEC for Safety from 1998 1999.
* Served as Gauteng MEC for Housing from 1999 2004.
* Spearheaded the development of Gauteng policies and programmes, including the Alexandra Renewal Programme and the Gautrain project.
* His exposure to social and economic portfolios has given him the insight into the challenges of both economic and social development.
* Premier of Gauteng Province (07 October 2008 - 10 May 2009).
Source: Gauteng Provincial Government